Welcome!!

I'm so glad you could stop by! This is where I journal the latest happenings in my home and gardens. My life really isn't that exciting...I just thot it would be fun to journal it!
I'll be posting pics as I journal, so you'll have a visual of the things I write about.


If you'd like, you can subscribe to this journal so you'll recieve an email letting you know whenever I write something new in it. That way you won't have to worry about checking this site every now and then to see if there's something new in it! Ü Just click here:

Subscribe to Aunty B's Place Journal by Email


AuntyB's Place also has a website with lots of information you might find useful. To chek it out, click here:
http://lakesarea.brainerddispatch.com/Groups/AuntyBsPlace

Then there's the yahoo group of the same name...it's an email based group where we share lots of information (via email) on anything to do with our homes and gardens....like recipes, crafts, diy projects, garden info, you name it! Everyone is encouraged to participate in the yahoo group, even if it's just to chit-chat! Ü
If you'd like to join us, just enter your email address & click here:

Farm Bill

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Feeding Wild Birds...

Have you noticed the price of Black Oil Sunflower seeds? I can't believe how much they've gone up over the past couple of years!! This summer alone the price has gone up at least 3-4 times...so far! Sheesh! And in most stores all you get is a small bag!
After buying feed for my chickens, dogs, cats, wild deer (and an occasional bear, I've recently noticed!), and wild birds the other day, I thought I'd share with you how I save a little money with feed so I can continue this 'hobby'.


Here's what I do:
The cheapest I've found Black Oil Sunflower seeds in my area is at Bjerga Feed Store, in Pine River on Co Rd 1 SW, about 1/4 mile across the highway from Jerry's Super Valu. More than likely the price at other farm-feed stores is about the same, but Bjerga happens to be the one closest to where I live. It's almost 20 bucks for a 50 pound bag there, which in my opinion is still too much, but at least it's cheaper than buying those smaller bags in the stores. If you know of a cheaper place in the Pequot/Pine River/Brainerd area, let me know! But this is the best place I've found so far.

Don't waste it if you don't have to!
I don't waste my money on thistle seed or the mixed seed anymore. ALL the seed-loving birds love the black oil sunflower seeds, and most of them will throw out the other misc. fillers you get in those mixed bags. I use to buy the thistle seed for the finches until they kept leaving a big pile of them on the ground below the feeder and I noticed they were also pigging out on the sunflower seeds. So...it's just sunflower seeds for them now, and I have a ton of them still coming to my feeders!

Storing the Seed:
I store all my seed in metal garbage cans to keep them dry and safe from other critters. I've learned from experience not to use those plastic garbage cans....little critters can easily chew right through those! The metal cans seem to last indefinatly, too....I've had mine for more years than I can remember!

How about planting some feed?
Birds prefer natural food they find around your yard, so what about buying some plants for them to eat from? I have different berry bushes and vines, and fruit and nut trees for them to eat from, plus lots of trees surrounding my home for them to nest in. One side of my house is planted with Rosa Rugosa rose bushes. They get huge hips on them that I like to use myself, and there's always plenty left in those shrubs for the birds to eat. I bought them in bulk thru one of those cheap mail-order places and got plain, brown, bare-root, dead-looking twigs....but boy did they ever take off! They grew into huge shrubs in no time! I think I got about 50 of them for less than 20 bucks at the time. Plants with seeds, berries, nuts, nectar, sap, etc. will help supplement the food you buy for them PLUS give them a place to nest. Get plants that are native to your area, which will also encourage more native bugs for your mama birds to feed their babies. It might be a little costly at first buying the plants, but at least it should be a one-time expense. One thing I also like to do is plant a bunch of the sunflower seeds I buy for feed. I noticed they grow really easily and they don't seem to get as tall as regular sunflowers, so they're ready for the birds to eat sooner. Just leave the plants thru the winter...the birds will find them! It's cheaper than buying those little packets of sunflower seeds to plant, too. Ü

Make sure you have water available for your birds!
I have a small pond in my garden, plus I have several small birdbaths here and there. I like to buy those big plastic flower-pot bases and fill them up with water. It's cheaper than buying an actual bird bath, plus you can sit it anywhere! I also found a good buy on a used heated bird bath (at a garage sale somewhere) that I'll use this winter. I haven't used it yet, so not sure how well those work. Make sure you replace the water every few days to cut down on those mosquitos!

Don't forget the Orioles and Hummingbirds!
I use to have a separate waterer for the orioles and hummingbirds until I noticed that the hummingbirds were also drinking out of the oriole feeders. Now I only have oriole feeders hanging outside....that way both birds can drink from the same one if they happen to be in the area. Once you invest in an oriole waterer, don't waste your money on those packets of drink mix for them. It's so much easier (and cheaper!) just to make your own. They both like to drink the same thing, so you don't need separate drinks for them, either.

Here's the recipe I use:
1 part regular white sugar to 4 parts water.
(Example: 1 cup sugar, 4 cups water)
1. Boil the water.
2. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
3. Let cool.
4. Refrigerate in a designated hummingbird feeder pitcher.

Using a microwave works too. Put the water in a microwave safe container and bring to boiling. Remove container and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. I fill my clean feeders and set them aside to cool and let the rest cool a bit before storing in the fridge.Don't add anything extra to the mixture like food coloring, honey, etc. It’s not necessary and it could be harmful to the birds. Honey will quickly ferment and become poisonous to the birds.

Storing the Nectar:
You can store this nectar up to two weeks in the fridge, if you don't use it before then. If the juice in the feeder becomes cloudy or mucky, dump it out and clean and refill with fresh nectar.

Cleaning your feeder:
You'll need to keep those feeders clean to prevent any ickies. When you need to add fresh nectar (every few days), just dump a little vinegar and hot water in the feeder and swish around. Rinse it well and add the new nectar.

Orioles LOVE fruit!
Just sit a small bowl of grape jelly (buy the cheapest brand, bigger jar) outside and watch the orioles go crazy over it! You can also lay some grapes out there when they're getting a little too old for YOU to eat, or take an orange and cut it in half.

Make your own suet:
In the past when I use to fry more things with grease, I'd put the leftover grease in a ziploc baggie with some sunflower seeds and freeze it, (or in a used, aluminum pie pan), then in the winter time just set it out for the birds. Sometimes I just put out the plain ole frozen grease, tho. They love it! I don't use much grease at all anymore, so I probably won't be using this idea in the future.

Okay...I know they're not a BIRD....but Butterflies need Nectar, too!

Here's a recipe to feed the butterflies. It's a little icky, but they'll love you for it! Ü

Butterfly Nectar

Over-ripe fruit of some kind
1/2 to 1 cup of Molasses
1 can of beer
1/2 cup of fruit juice (any kind)
Brightly colored cloths

Mix all ingredients together until it's gooey and liquified. (use your food processor if you want). Then dip the bright colored cloths into the mixture and let it soak for a few minutes til the cloth is good and soaked all the way through. Hang the cloths onto tree branches to attract the butterflies. That's it!

Well....this is about the extent of my knowledge on this subject. If you try these recipes or ideas, let me know how it turns out for you!
AuntyB

No comments:

My Loves.....