Welcome!!

I'm so glad you could stop by! This is where I journal the latest happenings in my home and gardens. My life really isn't that exciting...I just thot it would be fun to journal it!
I'll be posting pics as I journal, so you'll have a visual of the things I write about.


If you'd like, you can subscribe to this journal so you'll recieve an email letting you know whenever I write something new in it. That way you won't have to worry about checking this site every now and then to see if there's something new in it! Ü Just click here:

Subscribe to Aunty B's Place Journal by Email


AuntyB's Place also has a website with lots of information you might find useful. To chek it out, click here:
http://lakesarea.brainerddispatch.com/Groups/AuntyBsPlace

Then there's the yahoo group of the same name...it's an email based group where we share lots of information (via email) on anything to do with our homes and gardens....like recipes, crafts, diy projects, garden info, you name it! Everyone is encouraged to participate in the yahoo group, even if it's just to chit-chat! Ü
If you'd like to join us, just enter your email address & click here:

Farm Bill

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chicken Saddles & My New Barn...

Like I said in an earlier post.....Things have been pretty busy here at AuntyB's Place this summer. So many projects I wanted to get done, and so little time to do them in!

Since I'm caught up on my herb garden now and it's a little too wet outside this morning to weed-whack around my fruit trees, I thought I'd share the pictures I took of my new chicken barn and the saddles my mom made for my poor little hens.
The chickens are only a year old, and during the winter I noticed that the roosters were tearing up the backs of my hens and making them bald. A couple hens actually died before I noticed how bad it was. We butchered the meanest rooster, which I thought would solve the problem, but it didn't. And with one rooster to four hens now, the problem continues. I checked his spurs, and they're small so that can't be the problem. Seems like he's constantly breeding them, tho. I guess he's just too heavy for them or something. So....my mom made some chicken saddles! Don't laugh, now....they actually work!! *lol*

Here's a couple pictures of my hens wearing their new saddles....

They're made of heavy denim material and double-layered, with elastic that goes around their wings to hold them into place. They're so cute!!! Ü They've had them on a couple weeks now, and I've noticed that the pattern needs a little adjusting because they're just a tad too big for them, but as long as they're still working and I don't have the time to do new ones just yet, we'll keep these until we can get some new ones made. (or should I say, until MOM can get some new ones made!) hehehe (I'm not much for sewing...just by hand is all I can manage). Hopefully the problem with their sore backs is solved now. Ü

My barn was in horrible shape. It's actually more of a big shed than a barn, but I use it for raising animals, so I call it my barn. I don't remember how old that barn was, but it was falling apart in places and it wasn't sealed as tight for small breezes because it had also shifted or something. The frame was still in great shape...hubby made that all out of oak, so it'll probably last forever. Just the walls were bad. Anyhoo....hubby put up new walls and made a chicken run for me! When he was done, my mom and I painted it and decorated it a little. It's not completely finished yet.....The gate we're using is an old gate we had, and when hubby gets time he'll be making a new one that fits better. Then we discovered that a three-foot high fence wasn't going to keep the chickens in their run, so we're going to add another three feet of chicken wire above the one that's there so they can't get out. Here's a picture for you.....

Isn't it CUTE??!! Ü

It's such a great feeling to get some of these projects done around here. I'm trying to talk hubby into re-doing his garage, too....but he's not real enthusiastic about that idea....YET. hehehe

Until next time!

AuntyB

No comments:

My Loves.....