Welcome!!

I'm so glad you could stop by! This is where I journal the latest happenings in my home and gardens. My life really isn't that exciting...I just thot it would be fun to journal it!
I'll be posting pics as I journal, so you'll have a visual of the things I write about.


If you'd like, you can subscribe to this journal so you'll recieve an email letting you know whenever I write something new in it. That way you won't have to worry about checking this site every now and then to see if there's something new in it! Ü Just click here:

Subscribe to Aunty B's Place Journal by Email


AuntyB's Place also has a website with lots of information you might find useful. To chek it out, click here:
http://lakesarea.brainerddispatch.com/Groups/AuntyBsPlace

Then there's the yahoo group of the same name...it's an email based group where we share lots of information (via email) on anything to do with our homes and gardens....like recipes, crafts, diy projects, garden info, you name it! Everyone is encouraged to participate in the yahoo group, even if it's just to chit-chat! Ü
If you'd like to join us, just enter your email address & click here:

Farm Bill

Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Winter Quest...

Is it spring yet??!
The winter here at AuntyB's Place has been a long, hard one, to say the least. I haven't posted much on this blog (as you can see!), my time has been spent taking care of different health problems, putting in more hours at work, spending what time I can with my Yahoo! group family, trying to get my financial life in order, searching the net for information & how-to's, trying (and sometimes failing miserably!) to keep up with the daily chores, and in my spare time playing catch-up with all of the above!
Times have been getting a little tighter here in my neck of the woods, and since it looks like it just might have to get a little worse before it gets any better, I decided it was time I do my part to improve myself and the way I live. So...
I've been on a winter-long learning quest! They say you're never too old to change your ways, so I've decided to give it a shot. Ü
First thing was my health...As you know, I'm a type 2 diabetic. Have been for 18 years now. Had some low blood pressures (which is normally low to begin with) along with some low blood sugars (was always either too high or too low...go figure!!), and the combination sent me into a seizure a couple times, so a few months ago they put me on the insulin pump...which I dreaded for a long time but now find myself wishing I'd have given in to the idea a long time ago! I have to wear it 24/7, and can only take it off for 1 hour a day to shower, but it's done wonders for my blood sugar levels! It's not quite the pain I thought it would be to sleep with either, and it's a whole lot easier to keep track of my blood sugars and keep them from going too high (or too low). I've been doing a lot of research on living healthier and I've learned a lot over this past winter. Things aren't completely 'normal' yet health-wise, I'm not exactly the 'picture of health', and I'm not eating quite as healthy as I should be, BUT....I'm working on it! Still haven't given up my almost nightly ice-cream habit, but I've been working on just about everything else and starting to change a few bad habits at a time...so
GIVE ME A BREAK, ALREADY! hehehe
Had another battle with the kidney stones. Last time I had them was 11 months ago. Not sure what's causing them, but this round was a long one! The pain lasted 8 whole days, passing stones several times a day. In the beginning, I swear I was peeing sand! I know, I know...too much information! *lol* All seems to be well with that little pain in the kidney now. (knock on wood!) Education on this subject is still in process tho.
Another problem was my financial situation. Sheesh. What a mess that was! Between all the medical bills, prescriptions, lack of discipline when going shopping (credit card in hand, of course!), you name it....I ended up WAY too stressed over the bills I had created and felt like there was no way out. (which also shot my blood sugars down, creating more health problems, and continuing the vicious circle I was spinning uncontrollably inside of.) Did a lot of research on how to get a handle on my debt, made a few phone calls to see what I could do and who, if anyone could help me, then I finally went to my local credit union (turned out to be the best option for me), told them my situation, and asked them for a loan to consolidate everything and just have one small monthly payment. Aaaaahhhh...what a relief when they said "Of course! We'll draw up the papers." So, at an interest rate of 5.49% instead of 12% and 20% (which I was paying on my different bills) and a monthly payment of less than I was making on just the credit card alone, I'm finally well on my way to financial freedom. I'm telling you, there is no better feeling! No amount of shopping has ever felt THIS good! And I plan to keep it that way! Ü No more credit cards for AuntyB. If I can't pay cash or save up for it, I don't need it. Period. The lack of stress over money problems is one thing I plan to continue for sure!
Which brings me to the rest of my quest for a healthier, happier life...
I've also been doing a lot of research on Living Greener, Recycling, being more Self-sufficient and Stress-free, and avoiding chemicals as much as possible. I'd like to get back to the basics...back to nature, so to speak. Of course, I won't go so far as to give up my running water or electricity! hehehe And my cell phone and internet are definate keepers, too! Ü
I've learned quite a bit on a lot of different subjects (with still quite a bit more to learn!) and I've been doing a little experimenting here and there with a few things, and now that I've got a little more time I decided I'd pass on what I'm learning as I learn it, and let you know how it's turning out for me, if it's turning out at all! hehe
If you have any pointers to share, please do so! I can use all the help I can get!
I'm trying to recycle more now, so I can get rid of the trash man. He seems like a nice guy and all, and I know he needs to make a living too, but I'm getting a little tired of having to pay him 75 bucks every couple of months just so he'll stop by and take out the trash. Ü
I bought some recycling bins that are stackable for 7 bucks each at Mills Fleet Farm in Baxter. They were the cheapest I found and seem to be of good quality. I didn't stack them as I had planned, but they're working out well where I ended up putting them. Now it's just a matter of getting use to putting what where! *lol* We have recycling bins within 5 miles from me, so that'll be easy to deliver myself. The non-recyclables will go to our local dump or in the trash bins at our local Oasis center in Pequot for $3.50 per large bag. Not too bad for the amount of actual trash I should have to dump there! Ü I'm not sure what it costs to take bags directly to the landfill yet.
With gas prices the way they are and no relief from that in sight, I'm trying to cut down on my trips to town and doing more errands when I do have to go. The local coffee shop is saving their coffee and tea grounds for me for free, so I can add them to my compost pile for my gardens. I'll pick those up on my errand day. Right now I've just got a compost pile out back, but I'm thinking about vermicomposting. That's composting with worms. I've read that you can store them in your kitchen and they don't stink at all! We'll see tho. Hubby isn't too fond of the idea of having worms under the kitchen sink. hehehe
I'm raising chickens for their eggs and meat, plus stocking up on things from the store when they're on sale and buying bulk whenever I can. Ü I got some free 5 gallon and 2 gallon buckets with lids from the bakery at Jerry's Super Valu grocery store in Pine River, and the Pine River Dairy Queen told me I could stop by there and get all I want for free, too! So I'll use those for storing some bulk things. If I have to, I can pay 2 bucks for each 5 gallon bucket with a lid at Scaefer's grocery store in Nisswa, or 1 dollar each at the bakery in town on Main street in Pine River. But only if I HAVE to. Ü
I've always liked to buy my spices in bulk. I get those at the Country-side Co-op in Hackensack. I keep them in different sized jars in the basement, then just refill my spice containers in the kitchen.
I'm even thinking about getting a goat for milk! Not sure if I even LIKE goat milk tho, so I plan to try some from someone else first....just in case! *lol* I'm a skim milk drinker, but at just about 4 bucks a gallon it's getting a little sickening!
I'm also experimenting with making my own cleaning products. I've done this a little bit for awhile now with regular cleaners, but now I'm into making laundry products. I'll let you know about those in my next writing. It'll probably be a long one!
Until next time...
AuntyB


Here's a pic of the Recycling Bins I set up in the hall closet. Each one is labeled so we know what goes in which bin...

1 comment:

Char said...

Hey Auntie B, have you heard of daveramsey.com ? He's got great financial peace advice. BTW we used to have an Auntie Bee in our family.

My Loves.....